St Margarets is a suburb in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, England, about 9 miles southwest of central London. It is within the Twickenham post town. It is bounded by the River Thames to the north, east and south, and the River Crane to the north-west; the northern limit, less well defined, has changed with local government boundary revisions. St Margarets does not pass any further south than Richmond Road, Twickenham. The area closer to Richmond Bridge is known as East Twickenham and is not regarded as part of St Margarets.
St Margarets takes its name from the former St Margaret's House. It was the country house of Lord Cassilis, Marquess of Ailsa, and later belonged to the Earl of Kilmorey. Their names can be found in local street names, including Kilmorey Gardens and Ailsa Road.
Many Victorian houses remain in St Margarets. In 1854 the St Margaret's Estate was laid out for building family houses, becoming one of the first garden suburbs.
Modern St Margarets dates from the arrival of the railway. There are some tree-lined residential roads and a range of shops and cafés. Twickenham Studios are in the middle of the area. Between St Margarets Road and the railway line (to the east of the "village") is a residential estate, "Twickenham Park".
The St Margarets Fair is held each July in the principal public space, Moormead Park by the River Crane.
Buidlings - In 1814 the painter J.M.W. Turner built Solus Lodge in Sandycoombe Road. The house survives as Sandycombe Lodge.
Gordon House is a Grade II listed Georgian mansion on the river Thames at St Margarets. Like St Margaret's House it was previously owned by Lord Kilmorey. The house has a Robert Adam wing, added in 1738. For many years, it was used as part of Brunel University. In recent years the house has been redeveloped by Octagon Developments, with the former chapel and coachhouse converted to private homes.
The Kilmorey Mausoleum has been moved several times, and is now located on the northern edge of St Margarets, near the boundary with Isleworth. It was built in the 1850s by the 2nd Earl of Kilmorey and contains the bodies of the Earl and his mistress, Priscilla Anne Hoste. Now a Grade II* listed building, it was built to resemble an ancient Egyptian monument. It is jointly maintained by Richmond upon Thames Council and English Heritage. The mausoleum is occasionally open to the public.
The Roman Catholic Church of St Margaret of Scotland on St Margarets Road was built to a modern design of the architect Austin Winckley and opened in 1969. In 1999 it became a Grade II listed building.
St Margarets has a local website where you can find out about local events and general community matters.
Should you require a taxi or mini cab whilst in St Margarets please contact the team at Ridesmiths